Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Scrabble weekend: Following the tourney

I´m afraid I just had time to do it in Spanish when the tourney was running, but anyway here is the tourney part:

We are already in Sant Andreu!

It´s so emotionant to watch again known faces, to discover new ones, Santi (the leader of the organizing team) is so excited and haven´t sleep due the nervous the night before (cheers champion! All will be great, you´ll see!)

Some people are going to take a coffee that finally makes them to awake and to tune up the anagramer neurons, some of us start to set the tables, check out the games… let´s see if this set is without the Q! Hey! No! The Q is also a nice letter! Do you remember that game when Antonio put “ululares”… no! no! it was “undulares”! and nobody else saw it.

Eh! Manchado is here! And Manchado says: “no, no, I haven´t been playing for so long!” Aha! Yeap! Right! He always say the same and at the end is the champion of the tourney! ;) I could bet this is part of his strategy to relax the enemy! :D

Here some of the pics I already have, I´m going to help to set up the tables!



FIRST ROUND

We all had already finished the first round. Due the way the system does the matches, (ordered by ELO, so the “favorites ones” can´t play together at the first round… due it´s more exciting if they play later!), it goes with no surprises.

Sant Andreu´s Club, with Santi as leader and also being the Referee of the tourney, has done a great work in every single detail, including the coffee break.



People saying things like “I had a Winter that I didn´t know where to place” makes me smile.



SECOND ROUND: ALICIA DOES HISTORY!

Our dear Canary Island´s lady living in Barcelona, has done history! She won to Manchado with a great advantage.

A moment like this deserved a pic!



Xas had won me, with 4 Scrabbles, one of them making 101 points… If we take into account that I had put just 1 Scrabble and our final difference were 65 points, I haven´t done it so bad! (It´s a matter of comfort myself!) ;)

Congratulations to Marina that had play in the first table! It´s obvious that the Canary Island´s ladies are giving their best today!



As curious thing, couples that had to play this round one at the side of the other:



THIRD ROUND: A G L O R Y MOMENT! :)

Gloria (in English: Glory)Bigorra is doing it great! With 3 of 3 won rounds, the last one with Montse Sanchez.

The first tables are giving surprises. Patxi is doing it great as well, step by step confirming himself as the favorite one, it´s almost sure in the next round he should play with Gloria… the poor girl won´t be able to eat, I think! ;)



Santi is doing quite a lot of work, being the Referee, cameraman and commentator at the t.v. program in charge of the event.

Topo! You shouldn´t lose this tourney! ;D



We are going to eat now, I promise more gossips later on!

Bon apetite!

AND WE ARE BACK FROM THE LUNCH...

where the table´s star was David Cantalejo (Zecks). He´s living in Barcelona due his studies and he commented me that he choose that place due the quantity of people playing Scrabble there (that´s to love Scrabble, oh yeah!)
His phrase of the day: I want this to finish now or I´ll have a nervous collapse! He had a heart attack game with Paco and was the all lunch time reminding it.
If by chance you met him, you should ask him to tell you a couple of jokes!

I´m leaving now! The new matches are being done!

4TH. ROUND WITH DAVID CANTALEJO!

If I would mention him before, I would play with him before! I had to play with David that made me to see stars! :(

David commented me that he´s hardly preparing himself to the Spanish Championship that will take place in a couple of weeks: he´s learning a lot of jokes! Here everybody prepares the Championship as how they want! ;)


And the surprises go on! Montse Sanchez told me that she doesn´t know what would be better: if to cut her veins or if to let them long! ;P She´s having a terrible tourney, in her last game she had the Q 6 times.

5TH. ROUND: “MAYBE!... “

We are finishing the 5th. round.

Patxi had win to Gloria.

Montse had lost with David Cantalejo.

Santi is in the middle of objections´ papers… and Curro, that is helping carry on the papers, comes and says: “and what about if instead of saying YES or NO about if a word is valid or no, you come and put: maybe!” Hehehe… that´s Curro´s sense of humor, I´m afraid! ;)

The day is running so fast for me. The ambient is quite nice and happy… it feels more like a good friends meeting than a tourney, I´m not saying this is not serious, just that it´s being so nice! Or maybe it´s due how relaxing is not to be in the first tables? ;)

Marina, in table 1, had won to Patxi... it´s being so exciting!



6TH. ROUND: WE ARE ALMOST AT THE END

Joan Ramón had won to Marina, so, they should play a “duplicada” till sudden death to define who the Champion is.

Some phrases I had hear:

“I start to got good letters when it was so late”

“And now, Xas, will you complain as well?”

“Oh Noooo!! I have to play with youuuu!!!” (That one was for me, I should say it felt so fine!) ;)

“Another tourney like this one and I stop playing Scrabble forever and ever” (If I should count the quantity of times I had hear that in the last 3 years…).

To the waiter that had served the wrong coffee: “Objection!”

An image of the ambient out of the playing room:



THE DUPLICADA




HABEMUS CHAMPION!

Patxi is the new Champion! Tonight the dinner will be the ham! hehehe



And with a great second place, Marina that was almost the whole day defending the table 1. Well done Marina! Women power! ;)



My favorite Mexican, Alejandro, got the third place… and he was saying he would prefer not to play the “duplicada”!



Due a mistake at the last round of the duplicada, Joan Ramón got the 4th. place. Well, anyway sometimes it´s good the rest of us to remind that you are also human, Joan Ramon! ;)



CONCLUSIONS

We went back to Girona talking about the tourney. As far as it wasn´t a matter of finishing the ham in one night, we went to buy food at König again and I had broke my diet quite a lot! Ouch! ;)



After the dinner (Oh! I forgot to take pics with the ham!), Isaac accepts a couple of games more. We finished around 1.30… Patxi told me no more games that day… Ooooohhhh!!! But ok, he had to use quite a lot his neurons playing the duplicada, so, ok, it will be at another time!

We had called again the same taxi driver that took us to their home on Friday, and that is a very nice girl. She´s starting with that profession and seems her new colleagues are taking good care of her.

As last recomendation, if you should eat at Girona´s airport, inside there are just 2 cafeterias, I recommend “The Bier Garden” that has quite better prices than the other one (ok, to ask for a great food quality at an airport would be a fantasy, but it´s not really bad).




So, we are going to Madrid, with an excellent feeling… would be due the ham? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment