Monday, May 24, 2010

The end of Lost in Spain



About my own case:

I had been a t.v. adict years ago. Now I have few things I like to watch on t.v. but I´m not exactly the kind of coming back home in a hurry because something is about to start on t.v. Time to time with Curro we spend the weekend watching movies or all the episodes of a serial in order to not to have to wait for the conclusion so long.

In the last 10 years was being really dificult to find a serial that makes me to be hooked. I think in part this is because a lot of previous deceptions with serials in the past. What made me to be disappointed usually was the feeling of people behind the serial trying to make it to last more just due it had a success they haven´t prevent and want to get as much money as possible from that situation.

Lost hooked me during the first 2 seasons. I was really surprised about all the diferent new situations in each episode. But also in a moment I felt they were just trying to make it to last more due an unexpected success. Also because they were against the "laws" of the serials that mean things like not ever to kill a character who is having success with the public unless the actor wants to go out of the serial, so they kill him in a way that will "help to accept his death" to the fans. Not ever it was like that in Lost.

So, as I said, I thought it was just another serial with producers trying to enlarge the serial in order to get more money and I left it. It was my friend Edu the one that told me, after the end of the 5th. season, that it was worth view, that everything was being explained and that all matchs perfectly. So we saw the 5 serials in
several weekends and we were hooked again. We finish to watch them around September 2009, so we had to wait till February 2010 to watch, week by week, the last season.

The presentation of the last 2 episodes: a marketing hit

I am so impresive about the great way to present the last 2 episodes. I do think it will set a before and after for future successful serials. Just to submit the last 2 episodes simultaneously in 59 countries was already quite an event, but in some how we had already seen that with This is it! the Michael Jackson tribute. Here the special point was to do it exactly (or almost) at the same time all over the world. That made history. Plus that, to play them in cinemas, giving merchandising products for free and, in Spain, also giving chocolate with churros... wow! Great!  (Yes, I have to admit it, I work in marketing).

The only one detail that I think they didn´t took really good care about was the day to do it. You see, maybe it was the best day and time in USA, but it meant in Europe to watch it at 6.00 in the morning of a Monday. I do think if they would do that on a Sunday morning instead, the quantity of people watching it would be at least 20 times more.

Trying to understand that end:

Ok, it would be impossible to find an end that would like to all the fans. Point is that at least in Spain seems most of fans are dissapointed with it.



I think here a clue that almost everybody in Spain is not taking into account is that the serial is done in USA. In Europe all related with religion and heaven is in some how obsolete. In USA they still have religion as something so important. A wink is the name of Jack´s father: Cristian Shephard.
About all the unsolved questions of the serial, I found in internet (but in Spanish) a blog that gives a lot of hints for understanding that end and part of the comments of the blogger is: "about the unsolved questions, I insist, they are part of the game of Lost. This serial wasn´t ever been a free buffet of solutions but a misteries mix. To resolve the misteries would be to prostitute Lost, actually the strenght of the serial is the oposite".
I also think part of why the fans are disapointed comes from one of the answers of the producers some years ago, saying the island wasn´t a purgatory, point is they didn´t said they wouldn´t die.

Broadcasts on Fox and Four channel in Spain:

A lot of people is complaining about Fox failing to broadcast the subtitled version... point is it means quite a lot of complex work. From my point of view someone at the Marketing department hasn´t preview how many people would be awake watching this end in a Monday at 6.00. Of course that was a big mistake.
About channel Four, the complains are due some lost minutes and a moment of lost subtitles (but it was for no more than 2 minutes and the conversation wasn´t that important anyway). I repet: it meant a lot of work, I don´t think it´s a reason why to blame that hard to the channel.

I also liked that they made a forum after the chapter finished also with images at the cinemas. Just I would apreciate quite a lot if they would select better people to be there talking about the end, at least people that could have a real professional point of view.






Will the producers explain a bit more the unsolved questions?

Most of fans complains are about the unsolved questions. Seems the producers said at the presentation of the last episodes that it was the real end. Nothing else suposed to come later on. Problem is that a lot of fans are really feeling now: lost! ;P So I could bet after all ABC will push the producers to give something more with explanations to the fans.
My own conclusion:

I really admire a serial that in this time, with all what we already had seen, founds a way to captivate the public. To finish it with that great marketing not seen before, deserves my respect. The end? I still don´t know. Maybe for me the problem was that I felt it extremely accommodating to the public. All dead but with their loved ones. I also don´t know what to think about Kate. The whole serial was now it´s Jack, now it´s Sawyer, now again Jack, now I have to go back for Sawyer and at the real end she tells Jack she loves him. What I could say? I don´t know if I hate her or if she´s my heroine! ;P Yes, the end admits a lot of different interpretations... but that´s exactly the hallmark of lost! Actually I think I should watch it again (all the episodes) so I would enjoy more the final.











Here some links:

Lostpedia

ABC Lost official web

No comments:

Post a Comment