Thursday, July 2, 2009

Breakfast in Guatemala (3rd. Part)

Let´s continue with the food we can find in a Guatemalan breakfast:

Note: if you click on the food links mostly you´ll find the recipes, but sometimes more explanations.

Breakfast Cereals: all the variety of Kellog´s, Nestlé and a lot of breakfast cereals branches are common in Guatemala. Just to eat them with milk could be enough for breakfast sometimes, in other occasions that´s just the beginning. Also could be taken with yogurt. You could mix fruits to it as with milk.



There was a restaurant in Guatemala that I´m afraid it doesn´t exist anymore, the name was Quincys. They had a special breakfast that was yogurt ice with muesly and honey…. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Was so delicious! The yogurt ice was natural one, without savors or fruits and they put it in a sundae dish, forming some kind of yogurt ice volcano that was at least with the double altitude of the dish. Then they added a rain of muesly (enough but not so much) and covering that all, the honey… yummy!!!

Hot Cakes: definitely part of my favorites, usually when you have hot cakes for breakfast you don´t eat anything else, but some people also eat eggs when they eat them. We also even have one company that has the rights from General Mills Inc., Gold Medal, to make the hot cake mix, I should say this one is my very favorite of what I had try till now. I always take several with me when I travel to Guatemala! And also is part of the list of things I ask for when someone comes from there :) I had even succeeded with my Gold Medal mix hot cakes! This is because it´s what I usually offer as breakfast when I invite people at home. Just I should say I have a secret… I put less liquid than the indicated at the recipe, in order to have a good consistence to make them thicker, then you should be more careful about the heat to use while cooking them, in order to not to scorch them but not to have the middle not done at the same time. I should say that I tried the Gold Medal hot cake mix done in other countries and I didn´t like as much as the Guatemalan one… and shouldn´t be exactly a matter of proud of my country as far as also my non Guatemalans friends that had taste them think the same… actually, that flour is now one of the products from Guatemala included at my gifts list when I travel there! :)

For dressing the hot cakes, we have a lot of options: honey, maple syrup, strawberry syrup, any kind of jams, fruits, condensed milk, peanut butter, peanut butter with grape jelly, chocolate syrup, nutella, arequipe, cajeta (by the way, maybe a good moment to clarify something: arequipe and cajeta are definitely not the same, Arequipe is made with cow milk, cajeta with coat one; also it´s very common to find cajeta with wine flavor). In resume: you can dress the hot cakes with almost whatever sweet topping you have at home! At restaurants they also usually ad almonds or nuts and whipped cream.



In Guatemala there´s a restaurant specialized in Hot Cakes: Danny´s Pancakes (5a Ave. 14-79 zone 9, Phone: +502 3620754). That was my very favorite place when I was a kid! :D They make them with animals shapes and a lot of options of fruits and different kind of honeys… but from ever, the combination I like most than others is just normal pancakes (I mean, not adding to the dough savors), with Maple syrup and in case some banana slices.

Waffles: another great option! When you eat them at restaurants, you just find the classic ones, but at home one of my sisters loves them as well and we tried several recipes… The one with cheese is one of my favorites! (Ok, ok, I think I´ll do some waffles for dinner tonight!) :D



Crepes: actually, this is most for dinners, but sometimes also at breakfasts. Sweet or salty, the crepes are also another item that we could even start a new blog just about them! :) There´s a restaurant in Guatemala specialized on crepes, it´s name, why not, is “La Crêpe” (Centro Comercial Portal Belmont, 14 calle 7–49, zona 9, Phone: +502 24 21 49 00), with more than 50 different crepes options plus salads and ice creams. It´s not about me trying to vindicate the pleasure of simple things, but again, are the classic crepes, the ones just with icing sugar and cinnamon my very favorite ones. Also the Crepe Suzette, that btw in Saúl E. Méndez are great!



French toasts: really simple to make and also delicious! (Ok, let´s don´t talk about calories….) :/ In Guatemala we do them with sandwich bread. There´s a Guatemalan Restaurant chain, Pollo Campero, that offers French Toasts as one of their options for breakfast, very good ones! :D



Fruit: yes, we also have the healthy and low calories breakfast version! ;) One of the privileges of living in a tropical country is the variety of delicious fruits you have. A brief list of our fruits: pitahaya, mango (a lot of varieties of), banana (also a lot of varieties of), strawberry, apple, pineapple (that is quite bigger and sweet than the ones I found in Spain), coco, melon, watermelon (also bigger and several varieties), jocote, apricot, peach, star apple, papaya, mandarin, orange, raspberry, lemon, cherry, grape, pomegranate, passion fruit, paterna, custard apple, prune, greengage, peanuts, nuts, sapote, black sapote, loquat, soursop, guava, pear, grape fruit, caqui, kiwi, as example… :D (It´s not about we can do a blog just about fruits..,. but there are already!).





Here a video with Guatemalan´s fruits:


(Maybe I would select a happier melody) ;)

Had you think this is more than enough for talking about breakfasts? Hehe… yeap, maybe it would be… but! No! Guatemalan´s breakfasts still have more issues to talk about! So…

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment