Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Breakfast in Guatemala: Where to Eat (Second part)

Saúl E. Mendez


This chain started in 1953 as men cloth store… how it adds the restaurant and cafeteria concept to that? Well, there´s not exactly an explanation but it happened in 1998 and just with small stands selling crêpes and European style hot beverages, it was so successful so they decided to work more deep in that way. They keep on the line of giving European style food (that doesn´t mean to follow up extremely the European customs, they adapt the food style to Guatemalan´s customs and preferences) and they really created something nice, different and worth to try! :D

Here an example of what you can find at their menu for breakfast:







La Estancia

This is a steak restaurant, Argentinean style that lately also offers breakfasts… and I should say with a quite excellent result! :)) They have a complete breakfast menu, but actually is better to take the buffet that contains:



And I could say you also can find the following desserts at breakfast as a good excuse to present them here... but the case is they are DELICIOUS! so no excuse is needed to place the pic here... ;P My favorite one: Babarua... mmmmmmmmmm!!!!



Here an old ad:



(Yeaph! I know! No breakfast there… but… how not to fall in the temptation of adding it here!?) ;P

McDonald´s

I should admit I´m not exactly a McDonald´s fan... but! If we talk about their breakfasts… the story is a bit different!

McDonald´s breakfast are quite internationals, so no need to explain the menu. It´s incredible but in Spain just something like 3 restaurants offer breakfast. So sad! :(

Here some commercials to remind what we can find in a McDo breakfast:











Burger King


Well, as far as I remember, I like their breakfasts… just that the last time I tried one was more than 10 years ago, so, I´m not sure if right now I would like it.

Here part of their breakfast menu:





And a nice ad:



Wendy´s

I´m afraid I don´t remember their breakfasts as well, but I do remember I use to like them and also that they had a cinnamon roll that was delicious.



Katok

This is a Guatemalan typical food restaurant that had started in Tecpan, at the side of a road, in 1961. With the civil war it had been burnt in 1981 but in 1983 part of the owner´s family started to offer part of the products in a small market place at the side of the same road. In 1988 they finally reopened the restaurant again and now they have 2 more restaurants at Guatemala City. Anyway to take the breakfast at the one in Tecpan remins as a classic when people go to Sololá or Quetzaltenango in a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment