Friday, June 19, 2009

Breakfast in Guatemala (First Part)

If there´s something so cultural in life, that´s eating. The point is not just only about the food itself; but also about the schedules, the spices to use, the costumes of how to prepare it and even how to eat it.

Also eating is something so personal but at the same time linked with the family, friends and mostly great memories.

When I came to Spain, I didn´t thought about how important would be the food for me. First of all due I like almost any kind of food and, on the other hand, I love Spanish food… But! After just a couple of months I was saying “my kingdom for a tamale!” :P

So, it´s also easy to think: “if you miss your food, cook it by yourself!” He! Well, sometimes, yes, is as easy as cooking at home, but sometimes you can´t find the ingredients, or it means a lot of work, especially if you will cook just for 1 or 2 people… but on the other hand, as I said, to talk about food is not just to talk about savors, but also about environment, places, people… family, friends… associated activities…

That far, for me, the meal I miss more than the others is the breakfast. First of all, due Guatemalan´s breakfast costums are so different from Spanish ones… at all! So! Let me tell you how are breakfasts in Guatemala! :D

Note: if you click on the food links mostly you´ll find the recipes, but sometimes more explanations.

The food

I think the American roots are very obvious in Latin-American breakfasts, starting with the food.

In a Guatemalan breakfast you can find:

Eggs: scrambled, fried, soft boiled, poached, hard boiled, omelet… but we usually don´t eat just the egg cooked like that… normal is to have sauces to dress them. At least ketchup! ;) Or “chirmolito”! :D Or a simple tomato homemade sauce.

If you go to eat to a restaurant, then the variations are infinities. Here we also can appreciate the influence of Mexican food in Guatemalan´s one. Rancher´s Eggs, Motul Style Eggs… but also other specialties from other countries like Benedictine Eggs, Eggs Florentine, Flamenco Eggs… Yeap! I think we could have a whole blog just about eggs! :)



But... that´s not the only one thing you can get for breakfasting in Guatemala! Oh no! That´s just part of the options!

But I´ll continue with that in my next post! :)

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment