Saturday, August 15, 2009

Breakfast in Guatemala: Sunday Brunch

First of all I want to explain what brunch is, for the ones that don´t know it. Brunch is a mix of breakfast and lunch. So, it contains food that you would find at breakfast like eggs but also the kind of you can find at lunch like chicken and great desserts.

The brunch is original from Great Britain and is something very common in USA, but in Guatemala it started just around 20 years ago. The ones offering brunches in Guatemala are 4 or 5 stars hotels, offering a great buffet, usually from 11.00 to 15.00 hrs. It´s amazing the quantity of great dishes you can find at those brunches! And a big variety of excellent desserts! :D

At the beginning all the hotels that offer Sunday Brunch Buffet also allows you to use the swimming pool as part of the offer (I mean, even if you weren´t hosted there, just for going to take the brunch there, you can also use the swimming pool) and it was a great way to spend a Sunday with the family and/or friends… but now just some hotels still allow it and mostly not in Guatemala City. Anyway, I really recommend enjoying a brunch at least once in life in a Guatemalan Hotel. :) And in some hotels you can even pay for using the swimming pool in case you want it.

Here my favorite hotels in Guatemala for going to have the Sunday Brunch:

Hotel Camino Real

This hotel is the first 5 stars hotel in Guatemala City that really made honor to the stars. It´s quite huge, with a lot of different areas. With one of the best hotel´s restaurants of the city, also has the Wien café, that is just great.

Here a promotional video, just a bit old one but haven´t found any other more recent…



Grand Tikal Futura

At the beginning it was part of the Hyatt chain, I´m afraid no more. Anyway the food quality is still very good and also the atmosphere.

Here a video:



And some of my pics:



Crown Plaza las Américas

I had live quite nice moments with my family taking the brunch at this hotel! :D Wondering, I have no pics, no video found I´m afraid, but here a pic of the front:




Hotel Marriot Guatemala

Known “in my times” as El Dorado, also one of the hotels with tradition at the City that I´m afraid had change the chain quite a lot of times, but it didn´t affected the good quality of this good hotel.



And the ones that offer Brunch in Antigua Guatemala and I like. They do offer the use of the swimming pool when you take the brunch:

Hotel Porta Antigua

This hotel is definitely part of the history of Antigua Guatemala. Just from few years ago is part of the Porta hotels and before that was managed by a nice Guatemalan family. Part of the staff had been working at the hotel for more than 20 years, those are people that just love what they do and you really can note it.

This is my favorite one if we talk about having brunch in the whole Guatemala.

Here some of my pics:



Hotel Soleil Antigua

For me was the Ramada Hotel, as far as it was part of that hotels chain, but some years ago it changed into Soleil.

It´s like a classic in Antigua but I haven´t found videos of it, I´m afraid.

Here some pics:







Hotel Villa Colonial

This hotel is new, actually I still don´t know it, but my friend “Chofo” that lives in Antigua Guatemala, told me for him this is the best option for taking brunch. So, if someone that lives there recommends it, it should be really good! :D I´ll have to go there in my next visit to Guatemala! ;P

Here a video:



I really hope you had enjoyed my posts regarding breakfasts in Guatemala. I should say I didn´t thought it would take that many posts when I started it, but I really have enjoyed to write about something that is a real sign of Guatemalans.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. Looking forward to go to some if these places with friends and fam.
    RD

    ReplyDelete